Engineering Services Department guides and promotes a sustainable Urban Environment that fosters
economic and social development, provides a total quality service and efficient infrastructure to
the community through sound Municipal Engineering, Urban Planning and Administrative excellence.
The department of Engineering Services comprises of four branches namely Water, Roads, Town Planning
and Administration. They are described briefly below:-
The department is through it different branches responsible for:
- Water Branch Functions
- Roads Branch Functions
- Town Planning Branch Functions
- Administration Branch
- Water Supplies
- Water Distribution
- Electro-mechanical Section
Supplies Section – management if dams, water treatment works and sewerage treatment
works, pumping mains.
Distribution Section – water reticulation, sewerage reticulation, chokes, burst
pipes / leaks.
- Electro-mechanical Section – electrical repairs, mechanical repairs, fitting.
- Road Planning and Design
- Road Maintenance
- Road Operations
- Traffic Management
Projects and Planning Section – project management, projects budgeting and prioritization,
detailed designs and project specification, management contract, management planning
reporting and evaluation.
Public Lighting and Traffic Section – street lighting maintenance and design traffic
lights maintenance and design, traffic safety, communication radios maintenance.
Operations Construction and Maintenance – implementation of projects, implementation
of maintenance plans, resource planning and monitoring quality control.
Town Planning Branch
- Estate Section
- Forward Planning
- Development Control
- Survey Section
- Development Control Section – guiding development, processing applications, subdivisionand consolidation.
- Estates Section – layout plans
- Forward Planning Section – master plan, local plans, subject plans, traffic/ transportation
- Land survey Section – title surveys, engineering surveys, boundary disputes, survey information.
Is responsible for the following in the department:
City Council Booklet final
- Budget formulation (Capital and revenue
- Coordinating all department activities
- Stores services
- General and staff record management (electronic and manual)
- Recruitment and selection process, termination and redeployment
- Disciplinary process provision and grievance handling
- Typing and reception services
- Processing payments
- Costing services
- Tender processing management
- Printing and Plotting services
- Messenger services
- Transport management services